[nabs-l] I'M RUNNING FOR THE NABS BOARD!

Sean Whalen nabs.president at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 18:33:53 UTC 2015

Good afternoon NABS,

I hope many of you are preparing to depart for Orlando! This year's
convention promises to be action-packed and memorable. And NABS has a ton
going on (stay tuned for a promotional email)!

I just wanted to drop a quick line on this thread in response to Tyler's
message.

I have worked with Kathryn over the past year and been extremely impressed.
She has been a standout on both our legislative and fundraising committees,
and has also lent support on communications projects. I will let Kathryn
speak to her time commitments with other projects inside and outside of the
Federation, should she so choose. I've certainly learned that she is more
than capable of speaking for herself. But to my mind the best way to judge
how much one will contribute to the work of NABS on the board is to look at
how much time, effort, and interest they have devoted to NABS while off the
board. As investment professionals say, past performance is no guarantee of
future results, but it sure seems to be the strongest indicator available in
cases like this. And the past performance of Kathryn Webster with NABS has
been extremely strong.

Kathryn led the effort to collect letters about student experiences with
inaccessible technology prior to Washington Seminar. Her work was
professional and meticulous. In fact, the job she did prompted NFB
government affairs staff to tell me directly how impressed they were with
her. Kathryn has played a key role on Fundraising for NABS. With Derek and
Candice she is running our Penny Wars fundraiser this year. She has compiled
a list of grants for which we may be eligible and provided info on
requirements and processes for applying for each. And I know she has had a
great deal of success gaining grant funding for state student divisions.
Beyond this, she has been involved in mundane efforts to make calls and send
emails to recruit help and move projects along. I think the concern that you
raise, Tyler, is a very good one. NABS takes a commitment of time and
energy. And anybody seeking a position on the board should be aware of this
and committed to providing that time and energy. I can say absolutely
unequivocally that Kathryn has devoted the time and effort required of a
board member over the last year, and then some. In addition, I find her
smart, capable, honest and kind. Kathryn is exactly the type of individual
we need in leadership. I can say that I will without a doubt be supporting
Kathryn for whichever position on the board she decides to run. And I would
urge anybody who wants to see NABS and the Federation bigger, stronger, and
more active to do the same.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I will see many of you in Orlando!

Take care,

Sean

Sean Whalen

President, National Association of Blind Students

(608) 332-4147