[nabs-l] Training centers

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 02:09:30 UTC 2015

Brianna:

I'm glad to hear that you are planning to obtain training in the skills of
blindness and that you are keeping our NFB training centers in mind as you
consider which center you will attend. So you are aware, we have three
NFB-sponsored training centers in Minnesota, Colorado and Louisiana. Though
style and content may slightly differ from center to center, by and large
these three centers teach the same curriculum, based on a "structured
discovery" method of teaching and nFB's philosophy about blindness. Since
you specifically asked about LCB, and since this is the center with which I
have the most experience (I graduated from both of their summer programs,)
I'll give you some background here about what you can expect when attending
the center.

LCB's adult program lasts from six to nine months, depending on when one
completes the graduation requirements. There are five classes which students
take each day from 8:00-5:00 PM: Braille, technology, travel, home
management, and shop. Braille, as you might imagine, covers all aspects of
Braille learning: familiarization with the code (if you don't know it
already,) reading, writing with both a Brailler and a slate and stylus,
improving reading speed, etc. In technology you will learn how to use
various access technologies, such as screen readers for Windows, VoiceOver
for iOS, Braille displays, etc. Home management--often called "home
ec"--involves cooking, cleaning, laundry and other household chores. Travel,
as the name suggests, includes techniques for traveling with a white cane in
all types of situations. Finally, shop teaches you how to use power tools
and build various products from wood.

Apart from the daily classes, students participate in many activities which
build confidence and encourage the application of the skills learned in
their classes, e.g. outings to various nearby attractions, a whitewater
rafting trip, a trip to New Orleans to participate in the Mardi Gras
celebration, and much more. Students also gain practical experience by
living in apartments which are owned by the center, in which they must cook,
clean, shop for groceries and do all the usual household chores. The
final--and arguably most important--aspect of training is "Seminar," in
which students and staff discuss together various issues surrounding
blindness. This time was, in my experience, the most significant factor in
my developing a positive attitude about my own blindness during my training.

This is merely an overview of what to expect during training at LCB. As I
have not yet experienced the adult program, I can't speak to any differences
between that program and the summer training programs from which I have
graduated. I know many people who have graduated from the center as adults,
however, and they have all expressed to me the dramatic impact their
training has had on their lives. I look forward to experiencing this for
myself when I am able to attend the center after my graduation from high
school. Given the secondhand accounts I have heard from adult graduates as
well as the experiences I have had at LCB's Buddy and STEP Programs, I would
strongly encourage you to look into LCB as you investigate your training
options. A good place to start would be their Web site:
http://www.louisianacenter.org. On this site you can find more detailed
descriptions of the training programs offered by LCB, and some interesting
videos which feature student testimonials. I would also encourage you to
talk with LCB alumni about their training experiences. Many graduates are on
this list, and I hope you can connect with them. The staff of the center are
also a good resource, as many of them were once students themselves. I hope
this information helps you in your research. Good luck in finding the
training program which suits you best.

Chris Nusbaum