[nabs-l] Disclosing That I am Blind on job/internship application process?

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 22:23:51 UTC 2015

Miso,

With one exception, I've never disclosed my disability in a job application,
and the exception was working a summer camp for the Iowa Department for the
Blind. The only time this bit me in the ass was once when they required a
writing exam, but even then we found a way to move the test onto a thumb
drive and loaded it into my laptop. Yes, it's caught people off guard when
I've shown up with a dog or cane, but what I'll do toward the end of the
interview is acknowledge there are laws that prohibit questions about
disabilities but that I want to be able to answer whatever uncertainties
they may have. I've generally brought along my laptop for a screen reader
demonstration if they'd like it and a Braille notetaker to show the kind of
equipment I can bring along to get the job done. For something like this, I
don't know that there is a right or wrong answer. I do know there's no
definitive way of proving whether or not blindness can disqualify someone
from advancing in an application process if the applicant self-discloses out
of the gate, so with that in mind, it seems logical to wait at least until
before the interview, if you do self-disclose, to be able to keep a little
more control on your side of the table. Bryan's post I thought was excellent
and a real practical way of handling self-disclosure.

Joe

--
Musings of a Work in Progress:
www.JoeOrozco.com/