[nabs-l] Disclosing That I am Blind on job/internship applicationprocess?

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 27 00:48:15 UTC 2015

Miso,

good luck in getting the internship you want!
There are pros and cons to disclosing your disability up front.

I'd say if you are working for a blindness or disability organization, then
disclose up front. You could talk about your involvement in NFB on your
cover letter and demonstrate leadership and advocaty skills on your resume
through your membership in NFB.
You could mention it in the cover letter as a positive thing.

However, if it’s a general job, I'd not disclose till the interview or job
offer.
In my case with internships, I have always gotten a phone call or email to
either interview me or accept a position.

At this point before they see me face to face, I
disclose my legal blindness and explain I need accomodations. This is a good
thing to tell them so they are not shocked to see someone who cannot see
much upon seeing them in the interview. Also, if I am just starting the job,
they really need to know my assistive tech accomodations, so I feel I need
to disclose my disability and my needs.

I'd say do what is right and consider it a case by case basis. You might
disclose earlier to one agency than others.
I got my current part time job by knowing people and I'm a tutor at the
writing center so
they knew my disability which was not an issue.

Good luck!

Ashley