[nabs-l] NABS Legislative Committee: Let's Make Equal Access in the Classroom a Reality

Sean Whalen nabs.president at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 19:32:11 UTC 2015

Good afternoon,

I am writing as the Chair of the NABS Legislative Committee to enlist your
support. As you know, we in NFB are working to pass legislation that would
create guidelines for accessible instructional materials in higher
education. NABS is working hand and glove with our national legislative team
to make this happen. But if we want to be sure to push this bill across the
finish line, we need your help! And there are plenty of large, and small,
ways that you can be a part of this effort. Maybe you are fired up to help
push the legislative priorities of the Federation and have a little bit of
time and energy to dedicate to the effort. In that case, we want you on the
committee. What we're working on is a bit fluid, given that it relies on the
ever-changing political and legislative process. We are here to do whatever
we can to support the Government Affairs team in Baltimore. Primary projects
right now are collecting letters about inaccessible technology in the
classroom and helping organize meetings with college and university
leadership to discuss accessibility on their campuses. If you are interested
in legislation, and willing to make some phone calls and send some emails,
we would love to have you on the team!

Maybe you are unable to commit that kind of time. No problem! How about
taking 15 minutes to write a brief letter to Congress talking about your
experiences with inaccessible technology in your education? We'll get the
letters to the legislative team in Baltimore, and they will use them in
meetings and during Washington Seminar to make it clear to Members of
Congress that real people in their districts and states are impacted by, and
care a lot about, this issue!

If you are willing to help out in any capacity, or if you simply have
questions or thoughts about the work we are doing, please be in touch with
me, Sean Whalen, or Kathryn Webster. We can be reached at
nabs.president at gmail.com and kathrynwebster.nfb at gmail.com, respectively. My
phone number is also in the signature block on this message. And, don't
forget, you can always send letters, or have friends send them, to Kathryn
or me!

Drop us a line and let's get started! I sincerely believe that we can get a
bill passed this year to drastically improve the situation for blind
students of both today and tomorrow. This is important stuff. Let's go do
it!

Thank you,

Sean

Sean Whalen

President, National Association of Blind Students

(608) 332-4147

Nabs.president at gmail.com

@nabslink

www.nabslink.org