[nabs-l] Experiences with American Airlines

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 00:26:25 UTC 2015

Hello All,

Next week my mom and I will fly out to California to participate in the
National Braille Challenge competition. Due to the circumstances of this
particular trip and the family vacation which proceeds it, we have to fly
American Airlines rather than our usual Southwest. This change of airline is
naturally a cause for some degree of concern and curiosity on my part.

As has been the case with many other blind people, I have not experienced
any issues which stem from my blindness or my use of a white cane when
flying Southwest. Though I am often required to hand over my cane in order
for them to pass it through the mettle detector at security, I have always
gotten it back promptly and have had no trouble carrying it on the plane
with me. Southwest's staff have been in general very accommodating. However,
this will be my first time flying American. What experiences-positive or
negative-have you had when flying this airline? Has the staff been helpful
without being overly so? Have you faced any discrimination problems with
this airline? I believe the Federation has had a contentious history with
American due to their past discrimination against blind passengers during
the 1980s and early 90s. However, I recognize that this may have changed in
recent years. I look forward to reading any insights you can share.

Thanks,

Chris Nusbaum

Chris Nusbaum, Vice President

Maryland Association of Blind Students

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland

Phone: (443) 547-2409

Email: dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com

Twitter: @Chrisn98 and @NFBMD

expectations for blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.