[nabs-l] Back-to-school Preparation

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 05:26:52 UTC 2015

To prepare for returning to school, I faithfully read all my
summer reading books. Also, my teachers often send me a list of
textbooks and, in the case of my English teacher, reading books
that we'll be using throughout the year. I download all of these
from Bookshare if possible over the summer. I've heard of people
meeting with their teachers in the summer, but I just wing it. I
introduce myself on the firt day of school, and over the next
couple of weeks, I gradually explain how they can help me be
successful in their class. I prefer not to do all this explaining
in one sitting so as not to overwhelm them with new information.
Usually, teachers are a bit nervous about teaching The Blind
Girl, but (I'm not trying to brag here) I do pretty well
academically and have a mostly easygoing personality, so they get
comfortable around me within the first two or three weeks.