[nabs-l] Spanish with JAWS

Anna Givens annajee82 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 19:36:12 UTC 2015

I am taking a Spanish class in college.  I have JAWS 15 and MS Word 2010.  I know you can change the language and/or have it detect a language in MS Word and I know you can change the language in JAWS.
I get my textbook chapters in Word format from the disability office at my school.
The chapters have a lot of English interspersed within the Spanish text.
I really need help figuring out how to deal with that.  I have tried changing both JAWS and MS Word settings to Spanish.  I have also tried just changing it in one program or the other. I have also tried not having the language changed at all in any program.  It seems that no matter what I do, JAWS inevitably reads things wrong. It will sometimes read Spanish in an English pronunciation or read English in a Spanish pronunciation.  When it does that, I cannot understand what it's saying at all.  Sometimes it does read it in the right language.  But I cannot figure out how it is deciding which language to read it in.
So basically I need help figuring out how to read a document that is two different languages.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Anna E Givens