[nabs-l] Writing math equations

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 23:20:50 UTC 2015

Hi Elif, Unfortunately, JAWS does not read equations well. I would
recommend getting your textbook from Learning Ally if they have it,
because they will read all the equations and formulas aloud. If that
is not a viable option, can you hire a reader, at least to read you
the essential things like homework assignments? If it's just a few
equations you need, you can simply ask your professor to type them out
for you one character at a time. That's what I did for statistics
exams. If it's the whole textbook, though, then I suggest using
Learning Ally or a live reader. Another option is to take statistics
in person instead of online, which would allow you to hear the
equations spoken aloud during class lectures and reduce your need to
get them from the text.
Best, Arielle