[nabs-l] IPad apps

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 13:15:56 UTC 2015

What are you specifically looking to do with the IPad?  That's
probably why you didn't get responses before as Aleeha said-try being
a little more specific.

If you have a notetaker a lot of the on-board apps like mail and
safari can be used with a braille display through a bluetooth
connection.

Here are some general apps I am aware of, though don't necessarily
use.  I don't know if they'll suit your purposes or not, but just in
case.
Voice Dream Writer.  I hear it is more accessible than pages.
Numbers, basically excel.
Dropbox and Dropvox.  Dropbox is a storage tool which has a desktop
client you can run on your computer.  The IPad/IPhone app allows you
to access those materials you have saved in dropbox.  You can also
share things from dropbox through the mail app and open documents you
download on your phone like PDFs there to save them.  Dropvox is a
recording app which links to your dropbox so recordings are stored
there.
IBooks, Voice Dream, Read to Go, Learning Ally, Newsline, KNFB Reader.
All reading apps but they do different things.  The KNFB Reader is
more of an OCR tool.  IBooks is basic reading, Read to Go is
Bookshare's app, and Learning Ally is obviously from Learning Ally.
Newsline is helpful if you ever need to read newspaper articles for
your class, though you would need to sign up if you aren't already
registered.
One more: Overdrive.  Works through accessing digital books through
libraries, and works just like a library where you get the book for a
certain amount of time but for free.
ITunes U.  Lectures on various things.  TED.  Lectures on other
various things.  Possibly useful but it would depend on how your
classes work.

On 3/18/15, Aleeha Dudley via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> It is honestly going to depend on what you want to use the iPad for.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Mar 18, 2015, at 8:38 AM, Gloria Graves via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I sent this post before but hadn't got a response so was wondering if
>> anyone could give me a list of apps that would be good to use on my iPad
>> for school? I have an iPad in the morning to use it for school and have
>> heard of absence as pages and keynotes but was wondering if anyone could
>> provide other list of apps that could be good using in school thanks

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/blindcowgirl1993%40gmail.com

Kaiti