[nabs-l] Chemistry for the Blind

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 22:49:52 UTC 2015

Hi Rebecca, and welcome to the list. I am totally blind, and I took
chemistry in high school and college. It was very simple and safe. My
lab partner mixed the chemicals and described what was happening, and
I took notes and wrote lab reports. Chemistry class is mostly about
doing the math to balance equations and testing hypotheses. Only a
tiny portion of the class is actually about mixing the chemicals. I've
known several totally blind people who did chemistry, including people
who have Ph.D.'s in chemistry. You absolutely can do it using the
methods you mentioned. Now there are technologies you can use to
perform some measurements independently, which didn't exist when I was
in high school 15 years ago.
Please check out
www.independencescience.com
and
www.ncbys.org
to learn more about how blind people participate in chemistry. Print
out pages from these websites and show them to your teacher and TVI.
Do your parents support your desire to take chemistry? If they do, see
if your mom or dad would be willing to contact the principal of your
school and request a meeting to explain how you can, and should, take
chemistry with everyone else. By not allowing you to take chemistry,
your teachers are limiting what you can study in college and what
careers you can perform. As you say, we need to raise expectations.
Best, Arielle