[nabs-l] Chemistry for the Blind

Anna Givens annajee82 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 23:21:46 UTC 2015

Hi Rebecca.
Thanks for reaching out to the list.  I am a junior in college majoring in Biology.  There are many chemistry classes involved with that.  I am in one now.
There are many ways to do chemistry lab work as a blind student.  Arielle provided you with some good websites to look at.
The device you are referring to that can identify colors is a Lab Quest sold by Independence Science.  It can do many things, and is certainly a good tool.  I currently don't use one for a number of reasons.  But it's worth looking into, although you may want to just do the work you can with your partner.  Everyone is different and has different preferencesof how to do things.
I have someone that is paid by my University to assist me in lab, and I also work with a lab partner.  My assistant is there to essential explain visual aspects of things (for example: "The solution is turning blue" "The chemical is dissolving partially." "The water in the flask is at the 45.5 cm mark." etc.)
He also can help me with handling equipment if necessary.  This way I can participate fully in lab without having to do the things that are visual.  The important thing is to understand HOW to use the equipment, how to do the technique, etc.  As long as you understand how to do everything in the lab enough to be able to explain to another person, then that is all that matters.  Actually doing it is not the point.  There are many ways of doing things and many tools you can use in chemistry as a blind student.
Please feel free to contact me off-list is you would like, and we discuss this further.
Thanks

Anna E Givens