[nabs-l] 5 Reasons Why Guide Dogs Are a Terrible Idea!

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 00:26:29 UTC 2015

If you're blind, you obviously read Braille. Your hearing must naturally be
superior to your sighted peers, and of course you have a guide dog! Right?

Well, that last may not be as pervasive as the first and second. Someone
recently told me the number of guide dog users has actually declined in my
millennial generation. I have no evidence proving this one way or the other,
but for the general public, to see a blind person with a guide dog feels as
natural as butter and toast.

Thing is, I'm not so sure guide dogs are right for everyone. Or, maybe I'm
just projecting my own uncertainties onto the rest of the community?

Last November I took the first step in the application process to return for
a second Seeing Eye dog. It's been more than three years since I lost Gator,
and even though I've gotten around just fine with a white cane, I am
approaching what feels like the final years with sight, however minimal that
sight might be. I admit it's unnerving if I sit still long enough to
contemplate total blindness. NFB philosophy be damned, and the thought of an
extra set of eyes to help me navigate the world does bring a measure of
comfort. But, is it enough to go get another dog?

In no particular order, here are reasons why a guide dog would be a terrible
idea:

Read more:

http://serotalk.com/2015/03/18/5-reasons-why-guide-dogs-are-a-terrible-idea/

--