[nabs-l] Best practices for dealing with...

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 01:12:47 UTC 2015

Hi Nefertiti and all. While it is definitely possible to do any
in-class assignment using a reader or pairing up with a classmate, I
have found that just having a reader draw something for me doesn't
give me a lot of educational benefit. It is a better learning
experience if I can generate my own accessible response to the
assignment, such as an Excel spreadsheet or a verbal description of
the item. I don't know what a culturagram is, but in one class where
we had to generate sociograms, I spelled out all the relationships in
paragraph form. While it was probably harder for the professor to
grade than a graphic, this allowed me to really understand the concept
of what a sociogram is. I would suggest chatting with the
professorabout what his or her goals are for the class in assigning
this particular activity and then figure out how you can get the
information and provide a gradeable assignment in a format that
benefits your learning, even if that means skipping the in-class
activity and doing a separate assignment at home with an electronic or
Braille version of the assignment.
Best of luck!
Arielle