[nabs-l] Stats Made Accessible

James Alan Boehm jab2bs at mtmail.mtsu.edu
Wed May 13 01:05:05 UTC 2015

Dear Amanda,
Greetings from Tennessee! Stats can be quit challenging with its many tables, graphs, and charts. I took stats a couple of semesters ago and the experience was a learning one. My biggest advice is creating an open and constant channel of communication with your professor. As the semester progresses, you will determine where you may need more help in one area than another  or you may get to a section where you need a more in depth explanation. I used the following tools which aided me so much:
1. Khan Academy
They have apps and an online site with numberous videos  that are short, to the point, and explain many difficult aspects of stats.
2. Sketch pad
Can be purchased at the Independence Market, your professor can draw the various graphs  on your pad so that you can feel them. My professor would draw the graphs as he taught the class and then would bring me the drawings so that I could feel and comprehend what he was talking about .
3. In my case, i saw that I needed extended time to take my tests because for some of the tests it took awhile just for the reader to explain the graphs or question. Again, the sketch pad came in handy for this.
I must brag about my stats teacher. My teacher and I were a good team at tackling any aspects of the class that were visual . You can read below of a nomination essay I wrote about my professor recently; feel free to share it with your professor or appropriate individuals because I feel my experience is a prime example of how there is no reason as to a professor saying that his course is not accessible or that cannot be done! Finally, if you have any questions or would like to get more thoughts, do not hesitate to contact me at secretary at nfb-tn.org<mailto:secretary at nfb-tn.org>. I wish you well and great success!

Tennessee Educator of the Year:
Accessibility is not an option - it is a requirement of all educators. I have had the privilege of working with many professors who cooperated by making their classes accessible. One professor, from day one as I walked into his class, stands out because of the ways he made sure all aspects of his course were accessible and accommodating. As you may imagine, statistics is a challenging class for most students, sighted or not. Dr. Stuart Bernstein always made himself available to me if I needed further explanation on a lesson. If I emailed him, rarely did I wait more than an hour for a response. Dr. Bernstein’s door was always open, and I never felt hesitant before I asked him a question or explained to him that a concept was giving me trouble. Dr. Bernstein’s excellent communication with myself, the Adaptive Technology Lab, and the Disability Access Center ensured that all aspects of the course were at my fingertips. Dr. Bernstein even adapted his presentation during class by drawing tables and graphs on my tactile sketch pad.  He handed me these sketches as he explained the lesson. I saw everything my classmates were seeing, when they were seeing them. T and Z tables, to name a few, were very challenging to use, with their many columns and rows of numbers. Dr. Bernstein researched with me to find an accessible program or app that would allow me to reference these tables. When no accessible table could be found, Dr. Bernstein made the tables himself and provided me with tables that I could access on my own, without any assistance. I never once felt intimidated by Dr. Bernstein or that I ever asked him a foolish question. Dr. Bernstein never expected any more or any less from me than my other classmates. When I think of a professor who does whatever it takes to make a student’s education fully accessible and rewarding, I cannot help but think of Dr. Bernstein. Educators can learn a lot from Dr. Bernstein, and I am honored to recommend Dr. Stuart Bernstein for the NFB of TN Educator of the Year Award.
James Alan Boehm
Contact Information:
Phone: 901-483-1515
Personal Email: jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com<mailto:jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com>
NFB Email: secretary at nfb-tn.org<mailto:secretary at nfb-tn.org>
Kustom Cane: kustomcane at gmail.com<mailto:kustomcane at gmail.com>

Blindness never limits-low expectations do! Live the life you want!