[nabs-l] Dealing with Independence in other cultures

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 18:50:21 UTC 2015

They'd certainly have a fit if they knew one of our "blind stores" is
called the Independence Market.  Lol.

It's interesting that you bring up Trinidad, Roana, because in my
research about Jamaica I've also come across some more general things
about the caribbean islands and how blind people are treated.  If your
parents are familiar with extempo, part of calipso music that involves
improvising lyrics in a battle with another singer in a "yo mama"
style (for lack of a better comparison to the US culture), ask them if
they've heard of Lingo.  Lingo is a very popular extempo singer who is
very good at improvising lyrics.  He's won national extempo
competitions consistently over the past few years and is completely
blind.  He often throws his blindness into his songs in good humor
after his opponents use it to try to get a leg up on his competition.
Here's a youtube link between Lingo and another singer called Black
Sage (he's the second one to take a verse).  I find this kind of music
really fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks1AcxZ8C9A

Kaiti