[nabs-l] How to handle creepy blind-obsessed people

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:07:25 UTC 2015

Hello Kaiti,

I am sorry to hear this guy is making you and your friend feel
uncomfortable. Since seizures are generally a neurological disorder, it may
be possible he does not fully understand his actions may be inappropriate or
makes you and your friend feel uncomfortable.

If I were in your situation, I would team up with your friend and sit down
and talk to him in a place that is public where you can have a more private
conversation with him. For added security, you could let some other friends
know that you are doing this, and have them nearby in case anything goes
wrong. Tell him that he is making you and your friend feel uncomfortable,
and then provide the specific things he is doing or saying that is making
you feel uncomfortable. If you are interested in being friends with him,
state what you are willing to accept as a casual friend. For example,
perhaps he could attend the disability meetings as long as the conversation
remains friendly. Or perhaps you may be willing to chat with him on Facebook
provided that the conversation is simply friendly. Since different people
may have different definitions of what is considered friendly, you may wish
to provide specific examples of what you consider appropriate and
inappropriate as a casual friend.

If this is not something you feel comfortable doing on your own, then I
would suggest talking to someone from counseling services to help facilitate
a conversation with him. Reporting a true stalker to the appropriate
authorities can often make the situation worse, and I would not recommend
this as the first course of action. However, in this case, if you were to
it may leave someone like him with a neurological disorder wondering what he
may have done wrong. It could be that he is simply trying to reach out to
other people with disabilities since he has a disability himself, and is
just simply going about it in the wrong way. If his seizures are caused by a
traumatic brain injury, it is possible he may also have some vision
problems, and this could explain his fascination with blindness. So perhaps
taking the time to understand his situation may help you to feel more at
ease in interacting with him.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth