[nabs-l] How to handle creepy blind-obsessed people

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 20 19:05:48 UTC 2015

Hello Kaiti,

I think choosing to ignore him is a suitable option for dealing with this
situation. However, incorporating social skill sessions into the disability
group with the hope that he may learn something from them sounds like a
passive aggressive way of dealing with this situation to me. My suggestion
had absolutely nothing to do with you teaching this person any kind of
social skills.  It was to encourage you to voice your discomfort with
someone who was making you feel uncomfortable in a way that would be safe
for you while showing some kindness and compassion towards this person. I
agree with you that you should not be responsible for teaching this person
social skills if this is not something you wish to do. However, I believe it
is your responsibility to learn how to speak up for yourself when someone is
doing or saying something that makes you feel uncomfortable.

After rereading your initial post, I do not see how this person is
specifically targeting you. The post talks about how he attended some of the
disability events and had one conversation with you on Facebook. I do not
understand how this behavior meets the definition of stalking. If the
disability group is for all disabilities, and he has a disability, this
seems to be a good enough reason for him to be there. And if you are a
member of this group, or perhaps a leader of this group, then it would seem
rather reasonable to me how he would want to connect with you as another
member of the group. Perhaps he is looking for friendship, or perhaps he is
looking for something more. However, how can you expect other people to
respect your comfort zone if you are not willing to tell other people what
makes you feel uncomfortable?

Your post says that you believe this man to be harmless. If this is the
case, then what harm would it be to sit down with him and take the time to
get to know him? From what I understand about neurological disorders is that
they can often make a person feel lonely, isolated, and misunderstood by
others. If you would be willing to take the time to reach out to him, or
perhaps find another male who would be willing to reach out to him, it could
really mean a lot to him. One of the things I do not like about the NFB is
how so many people claim to know so much about me when most people have
never actually taken the time to get to know me as a person. It sounds to me
like what you know about him is based on your own assumptions rather than
who he is as a person. So I honestly do not see the harm in talking to him
if he is as harmless as you are making him out to be.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth