[nabs-l] research paper assistance

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 00:13:05 UTC 2015

Hi, Nathan,

A lot of the things blind people do for self-stimulation are similar
to what people with Autism do as well (Rocking, hand flapping, etc.  I
think you could break your research down into researching the
different blindisms and possibly link them to other issues like Autism
or intellectual delay, especially since they stem from the same need
to self-stimulate.

The more specific blindisms to blindness are probably eye poking and
the droopy head (A lot of blind people don't hold their heads up to
face in front of them and talk down to the ground).  Those might be
harder to find information on, but perhaps looking at the specific
behaviors will be helpful instead of just searching specifically for
blindisms.  Articles on social interaction for children who rock might
address issues concerning the blind and children with Autism, which
would still give  you credible sources.

Good luck,