[nabs-l] SO MANY ACCOMMODATION ISSUES! Advice needed!

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Fri Oct 30 04:33:49 UTC 2015

Hello Chelsey,
Your experiences mirror a lot of what I've gone through at my
university. There are a few options you might take here. If you'd like
to get in touch with me off list, I'd be interested where you go to
school so I can do some research, but there are generally state
offices. My school hearing from the massachusetts Office of Disability
helped them get moving, although not much. I would however like to
caution you against filing anything unless you really need to. This is
your battle to choose and I think plenty will be all on board for you
filing.

Depending on your background check when you go for employment, this
filing might actually come back to bight you later. While we do have
the ADA, it doesn't prevent an employer for not hiring you over
someone "better qualified" who just happened to see the complaint.
Something like this might show future employers that you might be a
problem for them and that's something they'll avoid at all costs in
general. These issues are specifically why I've not taken more drastic
actions with regards to my college and the way I am generally treated.

I do have a few substantive ideas for you, however. First, you should
keep a log for each class as well as a log for your discussions with
ASD (I'm not sure what this is--is it your school's DS office)? If
possible, print out email exchanges and store them in a folder in
consecutive order, also reference them in your log. If not, just make
sure that you keep backups of each email exchange. If you ever need to
do so, you can print all of this out really quickly. Should you go
forward with a formal complaint, the more records you have the better
you will do.
Second, I really suggest you start working your way up the chain. If
your counselor is not accomidating, find his/her supervisor. If that
doesn't work, go up higher. Now that you are facing such issues and
your grades are at risk, I might almost suggest you start from the top
down. Don't deal with a phone-call as it gives people time to turn you
away, go straight up to the president's office, explain you are
failing due to lack of accommodations which clearly violates the ADA
and ask if you can have an appointment. This forces them to deal with
you directly; I learned this when I emailed my president and it went
to the person I deal with at the DS office; every office seems to talk
to her, whether I have a question for physical plant or something else.
Finally and perhaps the best bit of advice I can give you, although it
seems less applicable is to find staff members who will do anything
they possibly can. They're hard to find sometimes, but in each case
I've had to deal with it's the people I deal with (sometimes usually
not the professors) and not administration who are the most
understanding. It doesn't mean that they'll go to bat for you, and
this is most notable in my school where a vast majority of professors
are adjunct and at an even higher risk of losing their job, but it
does mean that they'll do what they can behind the scenes.

Good luck and feel free to get in touch if I can help at all.
Thanks,