[nabs-l] SO MANY ACCOMMODATION ISSUES! Advice needed!

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 30 04:45:49 UTC 2015

Hi Chelsea,

I'm sorry to hear this. I have been through classes where I speak to
professors and email them for accomodations such as copies of slides and do
not receive them. I felt ignored. But I never dealt with several bad
professors in one semester. I'll take each subject by itself.
Overall, I think you are doing well by attempting to communicate with
professors; I'd file a complaint if I were you and speak to professor's
supervisors. Usually the assistant dean or head of the department is their
supervisor.

For math, I have low vision too and did math visually with dark pens and
large print, yet I did not see the board and had to teach myself a lot.
They spoke what they wrote, but I could not learn auditorily. I think its
very unfair for any professor not to have office hours or respond to student
emails. That is their duty and I do not understand how the prof can get away
without providing office hours. Is he part time? If not, all full time
professors are required and even paid to have office hours.
This is definitely reportable.
As for notes to study from, I had that challenge too.
Have you tried asking a classmate? Does the prof follow the textbook? Could
you look at the text magnified and see how problems are worked out?
Also, many schools have a tutoring service for free or minimal fee. You
might benefit from finding out about tutoring options and using their
service.

Your history class: I agree you need to access the slides. I would put that
request in writing in emails and copy your
disability counselor. This is a basic accomodation. Again, I'd report that
to the head of the prof's department.
Has he given any reasons for failing to give you slides?
Meanwhile, remember that slides just are written supplements to lectures. If
the prof lectures half decently, he should speak all important
notes on slides. You could take notes based on what you hear. Even when I
get slides, I often find they do not help much, and meerly are an outline of
the lecture.
Remember that most professors at the lower levels of classes follow the
text. So read your text well, and that should reinforce what is said and
presented in class.
You sound like you have fairly good vision. Have you tried sitting in the
front row to see slides?
When I sit near the front, I can read some of the slides; usually the titles
of slides at least as that is bigger font.

If professors are this bad, you might have to withdraw because its better to
have a W in some classes than Fs. Sad but true and I've learned that some
people you cannot work with. Its their way, or the high way.

English:
You need access to the slides and what they write on the board. Your
professor has a legal obligation to give you access. They need to speak what
they write. I usually cannot see the board either, even if I sit up front. I
get access to the board by asking them to verbalize what they write.
All slides and handouts the professor generates needs to be given to you in
accessible format either large print or electronically.
Why doesn't these professors post slides on blackboard? In many college
classes, professors posted class material such as slides on blackboard for
all to see. Its too bad they do not do this because if they did, you'd
download and read them like everyone else.

All I can think of is to have a meeting with both professors for history and
english.
Reiterate your accomodations. Take note of what you go over and what they
say. If they refuse to help, go above them and report it. Oh, follow up with
emails after the meeting.
Then file complaints.

You could probably do okay in classes without slides. Slides are usually
outlines of the messages and visual supplements to lectures.
But any other material you need access to. And, why can't you take quizzes
in another location with extended time. Most colleges have a testing center
and students with disabilities go there for exams. Unless they are pop
quizzes, you should be able to take them in the designated location for
students
with disabilities.
You should not have to take quizzes in the hall where there can be many
distractions from passers-by!

Finally, if any professor asks you or intimidates you to drop their class,
that is not only unethical, but illegal.
Professors cannot choose who is in their class.
Definitely keep copies of these emails and report them to the dean. If you
do not want to cause more issues and fear retaliation, then
you can still report thisafter the semester ends.
Its one thing not to accommodate you, but to constantly ask you to drop the
class crosses a line getting into harrassment and intimidation.

Good luck.
Ashley-----Original Message-----