[nabs-l] SO MANY ACCOMMODATION ISSUES! Advice needed!

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Oct 30 23:53:17 UTC 2015

Chelsea,

A lot has changed since I majored in math over forty years ago, so I can't
address very well what should be expected of who.  What I can tell you is
that there was no technology back then, but I am not saying that is better.
What I did, though, was to ask the professor to talk as he was writing on
the board.  I got pretty good at writing down what he said, even with a
slate and stylus, thereby only needing to fill in the details with a reader.
I did not have a note-taker, but I did hire other students in the class to
go over hand-outs and we would compare notes.  It is hard for me to
understand why a note-taker would not be able to convey the information you
need, assuming the professor won't speak as he writes.  However, that might
be something he would do if you have not suggested it.

How does he deal with helping other students without office hours?  Some
professors have assistants who sometimes do the real work.  Even if such an
assistant is not a professor, often they are very good to work with.  I had
good experiences working with several assistants.

You didn't really mention your textbook.  Usually, but not always,
professors use the board to provide extra emphasis to problems in the
textbook.  While I don't think you are getting treated all that well by your
professor, having the textbook and a note-taker should get you further along
than it sounds is the case.  I'm not justifying the professor's behavior,
just trying to provide some alternatives.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On 10/29/15, chelsea peahl via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> [...]
> emailed to the ATC to be made accessible until the day of the midterm, and
> that is what has happened with several tests as well. I have a notetaker,
> but having to rely on her notes isn't enough for a math class. We have
since
> tried using a transcriber, but because I have to make the font so large to
> read it, most problems do not fit on the screen. I am unable to see a
> problem start to finish because the program kicks me to wherever the
person
> is typing and I am unable to look back. We have since discontinued this
> service because it wasn't working for me. We are looking for a new option
> fill this. (ATC is looking at trying a video magnifier, but we won't have
> access to one for weeks to try, then we will have to purchase one which
will
> take a few additional weeks, and by the time it arrives, the semester will
> be over.
> HIstory: I have a notetaker who is decent in there, but access to slides
is
> a joke. I did not receive slides until the day before the midterm for the
> semester. How do you study for a midterm when you get the information the
> day before. I have yet to receive any slides since our midterm 2 weeks
ago.
> I talk to him daily almost begging for the slides, but it has yet to
happen.

> Music: I have an intro to music class online. I learned that my
> accommodation letter was never sent (thats how my university does it for
> online classes) and therefore I have no accommodations for my tests within
> that class. I am working my hardest to get them, but its after midterms,
so
> I may never receive accommodations for the course.
> English: My english class is a joke. It has been since the beginning. At
> first, my professor tried sending me into the hallways for our daily
quizzes
> (I haven't figured out why) Everything is done on the board through
> powerpoint and other sources daily, and the only thing I am ever given
> access to is the quiz (Printed). She has emailed me asking if I was going
> drop her class, has refused to give me quizzes with the class, calls out
my
> blindness almost daily, and doesn't give me access to any extra credit
that
> the rest of my class gets. Because I am unable to see the board, and she
is
> unwilling to help me, I am left to figure everything out on my own. (which
> sucks. If Im paying to take a class, maybe she should teach me that
subject)
> Just today, she sent me another email saying the stuff shown overhead
isn't
> that important...and if I thought it was unfair, I should go talk to her.
(I
> talk to her DAILY to no avail!) I have since been advised by ASD to not
> return to her class until further notice. (which is stressful because we
> have daily quizzes that can't be made up.) I also have a notetaker, but
I'm

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/jlestermusic%40gmail.com

--
Joshua Lester
Blessings to you in the name of Jesus Christ