[nabs-l] Question about Research

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 00:48:07 UTC 2015

Hi Kennedy, Sounds like a great opportunity! Do you know what
department your faculty mentors will be in and what type of research
they do? This will affect what you will be expected to do for them. In
general, the biggest thing you will need is a computer you can use
effectively. If you own a screen reader like JAWS, you can install it
and use your license key on up to three computers at one time, so you
can put it on your computer in their lab or use a laptop. You might be
asked to do library research. If so, you will want to get familiar
with the online library services at your college as well as any
services for requesting electronic documents from the library (often
known as interlibrary loan). You will probably not need to deal with
hard-copy books, but if you do, you will probably want to ask the
college to provide a reader or hire your own reader. Some
undergraduates are asked to do data entry as part of a research group.
Although data entry seems inaccessible, most good data entry is done
in pairs, so you can pair up with another research assistant who will
read you the data and have you enter it. This is often done as a way
of double-checking accuracy. Best of luck and I may have more specific
advice if you tell me more about what type of research you will be
doing.
Best, Arielle