[nabs-l] my blog about my experiences at LCB

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 23:42:35 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We had this same discussion over on the NAGDU list with the same... results.  :)

It is evident from the reactions of both members of the Nabs and Nagdu
lists that there is a lot to say on the topic of NFB and guide dogs as
well as the training center policies related to guide dogs.  I can
tell you that the members of Nagdu seem to be divided in their
opinions of the training centers' guide dog policies, and in my own
humble opinion, I think the topics are something we must address head
on, think critically about, and perhaps work towards change.

I am a guide dog user.  Off and on over the years I have considered
going to a training center to gain better cooking, home management,
and travel skills.  Yes, I said travel skills.  I got a dog at age 17
and did not really have the cane skills that I should have at the
time.  I believe I could benefit from the full-immersion model of
traning.  The reason I have not pursued this idea is that I would like
to encorporate my guide dog into training.  I have made the choice to
be a guide dog user--this means that the majority of my travel time, I
use a guide dog as my tool of choice.

Derek, you state that the centers are immersion programs, immersing
the client in blindness training.  My creative mind actually finds
that to be more of a reason to allow the guide dogs to be encorporated
into the training experience.  I have had several friends at training
centers.  As I understand it, the students are encouraged to learn and
work with a variety of tools: canes, slates, Braille writers,
screenreaders, note takers, etc.  And I doubt I know the half of it...
:)

I also understand that the students in their tech classes get to learn
what will be the most helpful to them in their lives after they have
mastered the basics.  So, why not this method for the guide dog?  Is
the dog not a valuable tool that some blind people choose?  Perhaps
the dog is discounted because of its working eyes.  This logic,
however, does not stand up to reality.  If I did not have good
orientation skills, I could not direct my dog, figure out what his
signals are telling me at different times, or redirect him if he tries
to get us off course.  (It happens...)

The cane is the first tool.  We dog users need superior cane skills so
that we can pick up that white stick when our dogs fall ill or must be
left behind for whatever reason.  And I'm talking superior skills...
Because if we don't use it everyday, we need to readjust quickly to
the differences in balance of the body with a cane in hand as well as
our reactions to tactile feedback.

So I am not knocking the importance the centers place on cane skills,
but I do believe it would be important for students with guide dogs to
be able to work with their dogs in their classes as well as in travel
a certain amount.  The amount would depend on the student, their
goals, and perhaps their mastry of certain skills with the cane.

--
Julie McGinnity
National Federation of the Blind of Missouri second vice president,