[nabs-l] Publishers and EPub problems

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 14 23:36:13 UTC 2015

Kaiti,

What a problem. I've taken electives for a few years at our local community
college called Nova for short; northern virginia community college.
At Nova, we also have a accessibility issues with the library site. Library
services says they cannot change the website; they say it is
IT's job to do that and design the website, and from what I've heard from
the AT coordinator, the web design team knows about the problems but fails
to make changes.
Disability services is well aware of the problems too, from day 1.

Keep in mind that the school can only fix the website. They cannot make
databases accessible because databases are accessed via a third party
vendor. For instance if you access Opposing viewpoints, the vendor is Gale
who runs the database.

I am afraid at this late time in the semester, the third week or fourth week
depending on when you started, you will find it impossible to catch up with
reading at the pace classes go in college. You might see if you can drop the
class and get your money back as long as this does not jeopardize your full
time status.

I've often used readers; old fashioned, but it works; and I record them on a
vr stream or digital recorder.

Other than getting a reader, I'm not sure what to tell you.

What is the database and book? If I can access it through Nova or another
nearby school, I'll see what I can do if anything.
Some ideas you might try are these:

1. Is there an older edition of the book either in print or ebook you can
use that is less expensive? Maybe learning Ally or bookshare might have an
earlier version back when it was hard copy.
2. Could you ask around school and either borrow or buy an earlier copy of
the book? Maybe a student has their old copy still and you can use it.
Either scan the book or use a reader; or maybe your DSS office will scan it.
3. Could you buy the book used from somewhere at a lesser price? Amazon and
ebay have used books and many other places too.
4. Could you rent the ebook? Sometimes I think that is an option.
5. If you decide you want to buy it, ask the publisher for some sample pages
and they can email you them or put them in something like drop box.
This way you can sample the book and see if it works. You could also see if
anyone has bought the book and try jaws out on their machine if you download
a jaws demo.
6. Have you tried doing the jaws OCR feature on the book? Sometimes this
works on scanned images.
7. Try copy and pasting the text into a Word file or have someone do that
for you if its not interfacing with the keyboard.

I've not had a required book online before but I've had several ebooks from
the school library which I wanted to use for research but could not with
accessibility issues. Its quite a pain.

Good luck!
Ashley