[nabs-l] A Guide for helping students with visual disabilities

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 23:49:21 UTC 2015

Hi all:
  I think this resource gave some good tips on doing your due diligence   on a person’s rights and responsibilities as a student at the school you are looking at potentially attending.  It also gave some good tips in regards to communicating with professors early and often.  I also liked  that this resource suggests getting involved on your campus with different clubs and groups as this is a great thing to do blind or not.
 I do appreciate the frequent mention of the National Federation of the Blind and  as a former board member this division i love the mention of The National  Association of  Blind Students as a resource  because we here are a great   resource for any student starting  college and matriculating through the system.
 I can tell that they did some research without doing a great amount of exhaustive research and so some of the resources were lacking.  I would have loved to see more  first-hand knowledge  being shared from students regarding different ways they’ve succeeded in college including visual and non-visual means and how one can work with/without voc rehab/disabled students offices.
 At the same time, if we  don’t like the resource we can either not use it or create one that we like. On the whole I personally think it was a good resource, but not great.
  Darian    .