[nabs-l] College Expenses that Blind Students Encounter.

Keight Best bestca21 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 06:13:59 UTC 2016

With my experience in under grad, only a portion of my room and board
was paid for. My accommodations with DSS weren’t very good, scribes
giving notes late and things along that nature, also only had a reader
for a set block and that was it.

Now I’m doing my master’s degree at a different school and DSS is way
better. I am allowed readers whenever I need them and am able to give
an estimate on how long they may be required—DSS pays for the
readers/scribes. However, rehab did not provide any type of funding
for my degree program or the accommodations’ that I requested (a
braille display) for class. They stated the reason they would not
provide the accommodation is because with my bachelor’s degree I
SHOULD be able to find a job, once acquiring a job then they would
provide me the recommendation accommodations’… So, my master’s degree
is funded by student loans and out-of-pocket for the display itself,
along with other things that I may need for other small tings. Also, I
am not on a meal plan, so I have to buy food and stuff as well because
I essentially live in an on-campus apartment, so cooking supplies,
cleaning supplies, food, etc. are all out of pocket as well.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Caitlin