[nabs-l] Accessibility of apartment documents

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 16:13:11 UTC 2016

Hi Kaiti,

I agree with Anna about the lease. While it is an important document
that you certainly want to keep on hand, it is not something you will
need to refer to often if everything goes well. I would suggest
bringing a trusted sighted person to the lease signing and, if you
have a scanner and an OCR program at home, you can simply bring the
paper copy home with you and convert it into electronic format for
your own records (because the lease is not a form that you need to
fill out, it does not matter if the formatting gets altered in the
scanning process). With regard to paying rent, I would highly
recommend utilizing the on-line payment services of your bank. Most
major banks (e.g., Chase, Bank of America) allows you to send a
payment to an individual: All you need to do is enter the name and
address of the recipient, along with any identifying information
(e.g., your name and apartment number) and a dollar amount, and the
bank will send a check on your behalf using funds from your checking
account. I'm guessing that you might already know this from previous
rent-paying experience but thought I would share the tip just in case.
Hope this helps!

Katie