[nabs-l] Accessibility of apartment documents

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 17:28:42 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback thus far  I've actually never been in a
situation where I've needed to pay rent before, so this is all new to
me.  Though I did have an apartment my sophomore year and have lived
in my fraternity's house for the past 2 school years, housing payments
were lumped in with my tuition so I didn't exactly get the "on your
own in an apartment with bills to pay" experience.

I did talk to the leasing agent about how to pay the rent (there is an
online payment option but you can also write checks), and getting
email or text notifications/phone calls about things like maintenance
work so I can be forewarned in an accessible way.  Thankfully they are
willing at least for now to do that.  I also do have the KNFB reader,
so I could make use of it as has been suggested.  From other friends I
have who live in apartments I heard that the lease was a considerably
larger document for them, which is why I was concerned primarily about
having it in an accessible format.  If it is usually 4-5 pages or
less, then I'm much less worried about it.

Any other suggestions/tips/things I should be thinking about would be
appreciated.  I'm submitting my application tomorrow.