[nabs-l] Disability office policies

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 28 01:28:01 UTC 2016

Hello Anna,

I believe in some cases allowing a student with a disability to miss more
than the allotted hours of class can be included as part of the
accommodations a student can receive from a college as a reasonable
accommodation. Perhaps your college has such a policy, and this is why your
professor contacted the disabilities office. However, this does not seem to
be an accommodation that a blind student would typically need, so I am not
quite sure why your professor chose to contact the disabilities office and
not you.

I attend a community college where class sizes are small, and where
attending class is generally counted as part of our final grade. Therefore,
if I have missed two class periods in a row, I will generally contact my
professors to let them know what is going on. Sometimes sending a quick note
to let your professor know that you have been sick with a bad cold and will
be back in class the next class period can go a long way with professors who
really care about their students. However, I am not quite sure how
appropriate or necessary this would be for a larger university with larger
class sizes. This is just something I find works well with smaller classes
where you have more of a relationship with the professor.

Whether or not you choose to say something to your professor about how you
feel as though her communication with the disabilities office was
inappropriate is up to you. However, I would probably feel the same way if a
professor contacted the disabilities office without notifying me about it as
well.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth