[nabs-l] Kindle Books

angelaroberts10886 at gmail.com angelaroberts10886 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 21:00:16 UTC 2016


Is this free? Or do you have to pay?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 17, 2016, at 3:53 PM, Mason, Amy via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> 
> They shoot for a 2-week turn around, and usually with there things, its inaccessible the way that a PDF that hasn't been tagged is inaccessible, usable, but if you have graphs and pictures, you will have problems, not a I can't use the book at all, sort of inaccessible. 
> 
> 
> Amy Mason
> Access Technology Specialist
> National Federation of the Blind
> 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
> Baltimore, MD 21230
> 410-659-9314 ext. 2424
> amason at nfb.org
> 
> The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.
> 
> Make a gift to the National Federation of the Blind and help ensure all blind Americans live the lives they want.
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: NABS-L [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Aimee Harwood via NABS-L
> Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:28 PM
> To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
> Cc: Aimee Harwood <awildheir at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Kindle Books
> 
> Thank you for the vital source suggestion. Does it take them a while to make the necessary changes for it to be accessible?
> 
> Aimee
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
>> On Aug 17, 2016, at 3:04 PM, Mason, Amy via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> 
>> Remember, anything that you are doing with textbooks has to be usable enough for you to get the information you need. Many documents aren't "technically accessible, but with some perseverance, you can make them work for you. PDF can be accessible if it is properly tagged, but very few are. That said, many untagged PDF's if they contain the actual text of the book, and are not dealing with complex graphics, tables, maps, charts and the like, or equations, are fairly readable, if somewhat bulky to deal with and navigate through. 
>> 
>> If you choose to try the Kindle option, I would recommend downloading a sample of the book and making sure it reads the way you need it to. If it's mostly plain text, Kindle might be all right. If the Kindle book says that it is a print replica, it will not work on iOS, and last I looked at the Kindle for PC app, it was not possible to read by anything smaller than a sentence or use Braille. 
>> 
>> You may also want to try Vital Source. They have accessible readers 
>> for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and web. If a book is not accessible 
>> enough to use they will work to make it that way for you.  
>> http://www.vitalsource.com
>> 
>> Good luck with the school year. 
>> 
>> Amy Mason
>> Access Technology Specialist
>> National Federation of the Blind
>> 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place Baltimore, MD 21230
>> 410-659-9314 ext. 2424
>> amason at nfb.org
>> 
>> The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.
>> 
>> Make a gift to the National Federation of the Blind and help ensure all blind Americans live the lives they want.
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: NABS-L [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jason 
>> Polansky via NABS-L
>> Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 2:32 PM
>> To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list 
>> <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>> Cc: Jason Polansky <jpolansky.nfb at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Kindle Books
>> 
>> Hi Aimee. I have read Kindle books on my IPhone with a braille 
>> display, and it works well. Pdf's can be accessible if you ocr them 
>> with a program like Kurzweil, OpenBook, or DocuScan Plus. If you don't 
>> have any of these programs, you can use robobraille.org and get the 
>> file converted for free. As far as books are concerned, I like 
>> Bookshare and IBooks better, but Kindle will certainly do the job.
>> 
>>> On 8/17/16, Emma Mitchell via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>> I know kindle app that is VoiceOver accessible. I've had trouble 
>>> getting them to read on my Mac.
>>> 
>>> Emma
>>> Member of national association of blind students Maryland and 
>>> Pennsylvania a division of the national federation of the blind 
>>> Member of communications committee and legislative committees of NABS
>>> 
>>>> On Aug 17, 2016, at 1:02 PM, Aimee Harwood via NABS-L 
>>>> <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> Hello group. I hope you guys are enjoying the last little bit of 
>>>> break before you dive into the fall semester.
>>>> 
>>>> I'm having difficulty in getting accessible versions of books. PDF 
>>>> apparently isn't what the NFB considers accessible. Daisy and EPUB 
>>>> three are the formats  they consider to be accessible.
>>>> 
>>>> I ran across a book on kindle that I think could work.  Has anyone 
>>>> had success with the kindle PC software?
>>>> 
>>>> Aimee
>>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> NABS-L mailing list
>>>> NABS-L at nfbnet.org
>>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nabs-l_nfbnet.org
>>>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info 
>>>> for
>>>> NABS-L:
>>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/emitchell927%40gmail.com
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> NABS-L mailing list
>>> NABS-L at nfbnet.org
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nabs-l_nfbnet.org
>>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
>>> NABS-L:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/jpolansky.nfb%40gmail.com
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> NABS-L mailing list
>> NABS-L at nfbnet.org
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nabs-l_nfbnet.org
>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for NABS-L:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/amason%40nfb.org
>> 
>> Disclaimer
>> 
>> The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
>> 
>> This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more visit the Mimecast website.
>> _______________________________________________
>> NABS-L mailing list
>> NABS-L at nfbnet.org
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nabs-l_nfbnet.org
>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for NABS-L:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/awildheir%40gmail.com
> 
> _______________________________________________
> NABS-L mailing list
> NABS-L at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nabs-l_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for NABS-L:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/amason%40nfb.org
> 
> Disclaimer
> 
> The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
> 
> This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Providing a safer and more useful place for your human generated data. Specializing in; Security, archiving and compliance. To find out more visit the Mimecast website.
> _______________________________________________
> NABS-L mailing list
> NABS-L at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nabs-l_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for NABS-L:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/angelaroberts10886%40gmail.com


More information about the NABS-L mailing list