[nabs-l] struggling with Math

Jason Polansky jpolansky.nfb at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 13:00:52 UTC 2016

Hi Kayla. You may want to see if your vocational rehab agency can connect you with someone who can produce the book in Braille. Last semester, I got connected with someone who produced the book in the order of which I needed it instead of the whole textbook. I sent her a print copy of the book and the syllabus, and she brailled the sections that I needed. From my experience, the notetakers are great for producing math, but not so much for reading math. Depending on what you're doing, you can do a lot of algebra horizontally so having one line does not become so much of a problem. However, I shouldn't say that for everyone because I have a 32 cell braille display, so only having an 18 cell would make most likely make things more difficult. I would use a combination of your perkins brailler, apex, and a human reader. From my experience, if your professor sends you a document with math symbols, your notetaker will either translate everything into UEB math, which is rather annoying or or computer braille. I called Hims tech support one time, and they said that it would only translate into Nemeth if your professor manually went into the ribbon and selected the symbol that he or she wanted to type when typing the document which is quite time consuming on their part. My best suggestion would be changing the device's setting off of UEB while doing math and learn to deal with computer braille. Basically, your numbers will be dropped without a number sign and the equals sign is a full cell. You can then use a reader to help you decipher your professor's notes when your having trouble doing this with your apex. Hope this helps.

> On Aug 28, 2016, at 12:23 AM, Kayla James via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Hello, everyone,
> I'm struggling in Math a little. Does any know of scanners that can
> scan textbooks and pick up the Math symbols?
> I have a BrailleNote Apex. I'm still trying to work out the Nemeth code.
> I also have a MacBook Air. If there are any scanners that can hook up
> to it that anyone knows of, please let me know.
> I could really use the help. I'm scared, because it's so early in the
> year, but I want to do well.
>
> Kayla
>

>> On 8/27/16, Caitlin Best via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> Chicago manual of style 15 and 16 editions.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 27, 2016, at 17:54, Justin Williams via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What format are you using?