[nabs-l] music databases and streaming music services

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 15:54:42 UTC 2016

Hello Ashley,
A lot of the time accessibility to streaming services is way better on mobile devices or via the web than by using desktop applications. Spotify does have an “accessible” mode in their application for OS X, but it’s basically an HTML interface that doesn’t work well at all. The Spotify iOS app is certainly accessible and you will be able to use both the free and paid services. As far as I know the most accessible streaming service out of the box is Apple Music: the music app on iOS works great with VoiceOver, and desktop access to Apple Music is provided via iTunes, which is also completely accessible. I have used both Spotify and Apple Music for quite some time, and from an accessibility standpoint I would say Apple Music is a better option as long as you are willing to pay for it. I am currently using the Qobuz Sublime streaming service, which is way more expensive but offers much greater sound quality. Qobuz is very accessible on the iPhone, and also offers an accessible web player. On my Mac I use it via the Audirvana app, which is also accessible. I am not sure if Qobuz is available in the United States yet though.
Hope this helps!

IC