[nabs-l] Grad school out of state

KENNEDY STOMBERG kestomberg at coe.edu
Sat Dec 10 18:47:55 UTC 2016

As for your question  about researching grad schools, I am not certain. This is something I am wondering about as well, so I would love to hear what people have to say.

However, I can address the question about your parents, and hopefuly, it will be helpful.  I have lived away from my parents since my last semester of high school. I moved out when I was 17, because I needed to practice being endependent. I also elected to do my undergraduate degree out-of-state, and am currently preparing to study abroad  this spring.   This would have been difficult without the support of my parents, and I am sorry that yours are sheltering you so much.

 A couple of things you might consider telling them, since they are so concerned about your abbility to succeed due to blindness.
1.  There are a lot of successful blind people who complete college away from their parents. (I have no doubt that others on the list will also be able to tell you that they did undergrad or graduate school out of state, and were successful.)
2.  You have already  traveled to Maryland endependently before, and you clearly came back just fine. Have you not proven that you can be independent and keep yourself safe?

Hope this helps!
Kennedy
Kennedy Stomberg
(218)295-2391