[nabs-l] Grad school out of state

Lucy Sirianni lucysirianni at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 19:07:21 UTC 2016

Hi Shikha,

I echo a lot of what Kennedy has said below.  Assure your parents
that countless blind adults are living on their own, successfully
running households, pursuing educations and careers, traveling,
raising families, etc, etc.  If they are open to this, it may
ease their concerns to talk with blind adults who live
independently or to join listservs like the NFB's parents of
blind children division to get support and guidance from other
parents who have grappled with similar uncertainties.
Ultimately, though, your parents do need to recognize that you
are a competent adult capable of making decisions on your own
behalf, and you may need to be quite firm in telling them that
while you value their input and hope they'll support your
choices, you will be making the decisions about your life.  I am
sorry you're needing to fight to get them to recognize this; I
can only imagine how discouraging and challenging it must be.

As for researching grad schools, talk with people who are working
in the field you hope to enter.  Look online for lists of the top
programs in your field and then research the ones that appeal to
you, looking for factors like reputation, location, job placement
records, and the backgrounds of the professors you'd be working
with.  Reach out to current and/or former students to see if they
feel happy and supported in their program.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Lucy