[nabs-l] Question about Textbooks

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 22:22:51 UTC 2016

Hi there,

I sell my print books back, but a nice thing to do sometimes is shop
around for prices.  I got a textbook scholarship from my university so
I've rarely had to pay out of pocket for my books, but I have noticed
that selling them back doesn't give you near the full retail value
back.  Sometimes you have better luck getting more of your money back
if you sell back through a book reseller such as Belltower Books, or
online through Amazon or Cheg.  Sometimes you can also make deals with
other students; it is not uncommon at all for students to go on the
huge class of 20XX facebook groups set up by my university and say,
"If anyone is taking english 200 next semester, I'll sell you the book
for cheaper than the bookstore will."  Often this cuts the price down
for the person buying the book, but it also gives a better price for
the person looking to sell back.  Also, remember you don't need to
sell books back right away.  You can do shopping around over breaks
and find one or two ways of selling back that give the best results,
and just hang on to the books for an extra semester if you don't have
time to do that kind of research now with finals.  The best time to
sell back is at the end of the semester, though, since that is when
bookstores are taking preliminary stock of what they'll need to order
for the coming semester in most cases.

PS: I've totally donated books, too.  My mom went back to school for
child development a while back, so I just gifted my child psychology
and human development textbooks to her so they would get more use out
of them.  Libraries in town might also take them if you want to
donate.

On 12/9/16, Christina Moore via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Yes, that is an option.
> Also you can sell them back to the bookstore if you bought them from there
> or sell them to students that will need the books next semester or year.
>
>> On Dec 9, 2016, at 15:28, roanna bacchus via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> You can keep them in case a family member who is taking classes takes some
>> of the same classes that you are currently taking.

>> NABS-L:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/christina.moore16%40houghton.edu

> NABS-L:

Kaiti Shelton