[nabs-l] Accommodation Rights and Not Using Disability Services

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 23:36:53 UTC 2016

Hi Ellana,
I firstly just want to commend you for being willing to take charge of
your education by exploring a different way of getting things done
when the disability services office is less than satisfactory. When I
was in college, I decided midway through my degree to start taking my
tests directly with professors instead of working with the disability
office, for several reasons, but mainly because this process was
simpler and less prone to error. I also liked that I could ask
professors clarification questions just like any other student during
a test.
The short answer to your question is that many professors will
accommodate you without the disability office's involvement, but you
will want to check with them and be sure before you do anything
drastic. If you are unable to get in touch with next semester's
professors yet, you might consult an advisor or department head at
your college to see if they have any formal requirements or policies
about DSS involvement or use of accommodation letters. These letters
are mainly necessary for people with invisible learning or health
disabilities to prove that the disability is verified by a doctor. In
the case of blindness, as long as you use a cane or other mobility aid
that's visible, that proof thing shouldn't be an issue. Again, though,
the culture may vary from school to school, so it would be good to
check with professors or department heads first.
Another option you might consider is to register with the DSS and get
your letter, but just not ask for any testing accommodations. You
could then go to your professor, show him or her the letter, and say
that you have decided it would be easier for all involved to take your
tests in the classroom on the computer, using the professor as a
reader, or any other accommodation plans you have come up with.
My experience, at least at university, has been that professors will
usually agree to the accommodations that's the least work for them.
Working with disability services can be as big of a nuisance for them
as it is for us, so if we can offer professors an easier way to
accommodate without all the extra hassle, they will usually agree to
it.

Best, Arielle