[nabs-l] Requesting your response

Bryan Duarte (Student) Bryan.Duarte at asu.edu
Wed Dec 21 17:21:02 UTC 2016

Hello NABS,

I was asked to pass on a message requesting your feedback. Please take a minute to read the below message and contact Deepa Goraya at the inclosed email. Thank you for your time.

As you may remember, the Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights filed a class action lawsuit in the Northern District of Texas against Barbri, Inc. on behalf of a putative class of blind students. The lawsuit, Stanley, et al. v. Barbri, Inc., Civil Action No. 16-cv-01113-BK, concerns accessibility of the Barbri bar review website and mobile application, which are not fully accessible to talking screen readers, making it difficult to get access to all the study tools and course materials. Additionally, the materials provided in alternate formats are often not delivered on time and are not complete.

Briefing is complete on Barbri’s motion to dismiss, and we are entering the discovery phase. Our motion for class certification will be due in February. In advance of that motion, we would like to hear from people who have been impacted by Barbri’s inaccessibility.

If anyone who is legally blind has either taken Barbri between April of 2014 and the present, wanted to take Barbri between April of 2014 and the present but was deterred because you knew they were not accessible, or is currently taking or planning to take Barbri, please get in touch with me. You can email me at deepa_goraya at washlaw.org<mailto:deepa_goraya at washlaw.org> or call me at 202-319-1000 and ask for Deepa Goraya.

DEEPINDER K. GORAYA, ESQ. | Staff Attorney, Disability Rights Project
Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.washlaw.org_&d=DQMFAg&c=AGbYxfJbXK67KfXyGqyv2Ejiz41FqQuZFk4A-1IxfAU&r=5dCABYJ5CxvQOBhyYB2Rbvx93pYuHZ0o8bUuY2oCLno&m=N3Q2Tlg5gNWCG89sPsUrHt7GFE_oB8op07jkCOJYZJk&s=r2gqGWGxhDFyqMuGR6b57ZokV9TehkINE0BTbvRAWhY&e=>

Bryan Duarte software engineer
ASU Computer Science Ph.D Student
National Association of Blind Students | Board Member
Arizona Association of Blind Students | President
QwikEyes CEO http://www.qwikeyes.com/

“let nothing disturb you, let nothing frighten you, all things are passing away: God never changes. patience obtains all things. whoever has God lacks nothing; God alone suffices.”
-- St. Teresa of Avila