[nabs-l] Help needed braille writer sudden denial and other OVR issues

David Thomas david.thomas at davidthetechguy.com
Thu Dec 22 04:01:31 UTC 2016

Hello,
Here is a list of things I would attempt to use as justifications
The braille writer will assist in learning braille so that you are competent
when entering college. If you don't know braille like the back of your hand
it will lead to poorer time use and possibly worse results in college
courses due to the reliance of large print materials. (not sure what
research you could back that up with, but I am sure somebody will point you
to some)
If your VR agency is funding your college education you could justify the
brailler by explaining that the poor time use resulting from large print
could be fixed by knowing braille. This would result in lower cost of
education as the likely hood of needing to repeat a class wouldn't  be as
great as it would if you relied on large print. (You could use anecdotes
from NFB members to help back you up)
To justify the center I would find out what the government pays to fund the
center in your state. I then would pick apart the program at your state's
center , and explain how they can get a better bang for their buck if they
send you to the center of your choosing. If you can't obtain the
government's budget for the center in your state you can reach out to your
NFB chapter president and ask if they can assist. If this doesn't work you
could probably use the freedom of information laws to obtain this
information.
After you include the comparison of cost for the center I would then attempt
to obtain the outcomes of graduates. For example 85% of Blind Inc.'s
graduates move on to employment or higher education.
Regards
David Thomas