[nabs-l] Help needed braille writer sudden denial and other OVRissues

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 06:08:25 UTC 2016

Hi,
By Braille writer, do you mean a Braille display or a Perkins
Brailler? The Perkins is a manual typewriter that is typically
used for math.
Either way, they can't justify that you don't know enough
Braille, because they are not you.  You should point out that if
you didn't have a Braille writer at all, there is no way for you
to increase your Braille skills.
Attending a training center would be a great idea before you
start college.  Although I have known Braille all my life, I have
a few friends who did not know any before training, and it has
helped them vastly.
People may try to steer you towards their center.  I am an LCB
graduate but in reality they are all good.  I chose LCB because I
had had such a positive experience there as a buddy student.  I
also know that they have great GED support should you want to
take them.  The training typically lasts from 6 to 9 months.  You
won't know until you have spent a long time there, how much time
you will actually need.
Do some research and have one training center in mind.  As David
said, you need to visit the training centers in your state and
compare them, then write a justification.  In my case, the
California training centers actually ended up costing more than
LCB would have.
Different rehab counsellors will work differently.  For example,
mine was very supportive but could only authorize 3 months at a
time.
HTH
Vejas