[nabs-l] how to prepare for college coursework

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 05:53:06 UTC 2016

Karl,

I agree and second this advice. I especially like the advice to visit
professors in office hours. I found them beneficial usually and it not only
helped me learn more from class but also let the professor know I was trying
and cared about their class if I was struggling.
In college, there is more reading outside class and more large assignments.
High school gives you daily homework and if your school was like mine, you
turn in some for grading and others you do not, but just go over the
worksheets or textbook questions in class. You compare your answers to the
teachers, and make any corrections yourself.

Now, college is different. You will have reading take up most of your
homework. Other homework usually is research for papers. I found certain
subjects had more weekly assignments to turn in.
I found that english, communication, social science classes such as
psychology and math courses had much more work outside class than others. In
English classes, I had more writing assignments and also readings. Often
they expect you to analyze the stories so you have to read a few times to
really understand the story well and get the secondary meanings from it.  My
communication classes took more time because on top of the readings, I
usually had other assignments to prep for. If it was a speech class, it was
preparing for a speech. If it was another class, it usually involved a group
project, worksheets, or writing. For instance, I took interpersonal
communication and I had to think of ideas for our group project and what
role I'd play;  the work was done in class, but we needed to brainstorm
outside class.

I'd say to prep for college, develop good study skills and time management
skills. You will need them.

Ashley