[nabs-l] how to prepare for college coursework

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 05:31:51 UTC 2016

Hi Ahbee,

Keep in mind that the ratio of in class to out of class work is
different from high school.  You should be spending between 2 and
3 hours doing homework for each hour that your in class for most
classes and more for things like foreign language classes.
Actually do the reading before the class it's going to be
discussed.  Many people don't, but there's no substitute for
reading if you actually want to learn something and to get the
most out of lectures and class discussions.  Also, feel free to
speak up and ask questions.  Office hours are a great resource
too.  Most professors are happy when someone wants to talk about
the subject they've committed their lives too, and (except right
around exam times), very few people show up to office hours, so
you usually don't have to wait in line or anything like that.  If
your professor lets you, take advantage of the opportunity to
write a draft of your paper and get feedback of it.  If they
don't, it's always ok to go talk to them about your project.
Often they will have ideas on what to read for your paper and on
how to structure a research question that can be answered within
the length constraints.  Finally, make sure you know what is
expected of you.  Read the syllabus carefully from front to back,
and also read the assignments your given carefully and make sure
you do what's assigned not something similar.  This might sound
obvious, but, as someone who has graded papers, it's amazing how
many people write something other than the kind of paper they're
supposed to write.

HTH,
Karl