[nabs-l] Schools For The Blind vs Public Schools

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 7 19:05:45 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Very interesting discussion topic and I agree with Loren.  I went
to a school for the blind from kindergarten
until 6th grade, when I transferred to a school for the blind and
stkyed there until high school graduation.  The main reason I
transferred was because I had major problems with my teachers and
TVI in public school.

First of all, I got a new TVI in the third month of my 6th grade
year.  She didn't know any Braille at all, so she would send a
note home with me addressed to my mom asking her if she could
transcribe everything into Braille for me.  Both my parents and I
were extremely annoyed by this, especially because it's a TVI's
responsibility to transcribe everying in whatever form the
student prefers, not the parent's.  Although I did eventually get
my textbooks in Braille, the only subject where I didn't was
science.  I had to listen to my scien textbook on tape while my
classmates had their books in print.  I think the reason my
science teacher did that was because she thought that if she gave
it to me in print, I would have absoluetly no way of knowing what
it says.  We all know of course that's wrong, but I think that's
what she thought at the time.

Second, I additionally had some issues with some of my teachers.
When I was only in 6th grade, I was forced to raise my hand and
get the teacher's attention so that I could ask them what he or
she had written on the board.  I found this extremely pointless,
because why couldn't the teacher just explain to the whole class
what our assignments were? This would also allow for the everyone
to compl'etely understand what we er to do, and to ask the
teacher questions if there was anything she needed to clarify.  I
do advocate for this now in the college class that I'm taking,
because now I'm old enough to understand that I need to advocate
for what I want and need, but back then, I guess I was too young
to comprehend that.  Also, some teachers in public school
(particularly my 6th grade English one,) really got on my case
about taking notes in class.  At the time, I had a harder time of
knowing what was important and what wasn't, and my English
teacher even threatened to put me in detention if I didn't take
notes like everyone else.  Also, that being said, how was I
supposed to know that my classmates were jotting down notes?

I'm really greatof that I transferred to the school for the blind
after that horible experience in 6th grade in public school.  I
now know and have made many friends with people who are blind in
my state, I've always had good grades and have almost always been
on the school's honor roll,  I think that the school has really
well-rounded my character, and I was always guarkdthed materials
in Braille or electronic format, whatever I preferred for the
particular class.  I have joined many extracuricular activities
at the school for the blind, such as sports teams, music
performances, and the poetry slam.  I really don't know if those
things would have happened had I stayed in public school.

While I do agree that schools for the blind are somewhat behind
public schools in academics (that's a major thing that I think
should be addressed), and also that they may not help us to
prepare for the "real world", there are benefits to it (that I
just mentioned) if you don't have such a good experience in
public school.

Before I finish to go have lunch, I'd also like to clarify a few
things that people have said.  First of all, schools for the
blind don't give you "everything" you need.  You still have an
IEP when you're at the school for the blind, and you still have
to request whatever you need from your state that the school
can't provide you with.  For example, the school can't provide
with a Braille notetaker.  Sure, it guarantees that you get
everything you need in an accessible format, but the school can't
pay for an expensive notetaker; you need to talk to your state
councilor about that.

Second of all, a few people have mentioned schools for the blind
not preparing their students for the "real world." It does do
that to some extent.  Here's an example: I just graduated from my
school for the blind this past June.  When I was in my senior
year of high school, the jeachers really emphasized advocating
for ourselves for later on for college or jobs.  So even though I
agree that the schools don't really prepare us (we're in a world
where only the teachers are sighted in the school for the blind)
they do mention it to some extent.  Also, we all have so many
opportunities to get in the real world, such as college and jobs.
In those environments, nothing will be pruided for us, we need to
advocate for ourselves; you guys really hit it on that one.  Who
says we need to do that early on when we have to do it a lot
during adulthood?

comin concluy, I am really grateful to the school for the blind
that I attended and I think that it has and will  help me to have
a successful adult life.  I sincerely appologize to everyone for
the rather lengthy post, but I really wanted to show you guys
that I had a not so good experience in public school and have
^one the best thing (in my opinion) to overcocme it.  Yep, you
got it, transferred to the school for the blind.

I agree that everyone has their own personal preferences.  I'm
not forcing anyone to follow in my footsteps, I'm just telling
you about my expfiences, which are all different for all of us.

Thanks for reading, and have a great week,

Sami