[nabs-l] Question for college students and alumni

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 19:53:36 UTC 2016

Hi Phil,

I think it’s important for people to contextualize their advice.

I am a 2nd year PhD student in Human Centered Design and Engineering.
Some people know the field as Human Computer Interaction. Anyway, I
went to a great but not quite nationally recognizable state school and
got a degree in psychology with minors in African American and Women’s
Studies, did blindness skills training at BLIND, Inc., and then moved
to Seattle. It took me 5 months to find 1 job, and during a time I did
not get enough hours at said job, spent 3 months acquiring a 2nd
part-time job. My jobs showed me that I can play a role in social
justice and the design of technology which is why I am on the path I
am now which is getting a PhD. I received several scholarships to
attend undergrad and got funding for my PhD. I try to remember to
accompany that with privilege as many people cannot avoid accruing
debt from college. That said, there is not a day in my life that I
ever regret not going to a more expensive school or not chasing
scholarship money. That said, my advice contradicts itself. I do think
that well-known schools, if they fit what you want, definitely help. I
hate it, but in my experience of moving across the country and giving
up on explaining where I went to school and letting people at
networking events just assume that I went to Chapel Hill, name
dropping is impactful as networking with others is the way you will
get opportunities. So here is some advice that although does not all
directly pertain to characteristics that particular schools may have,
does lead to things to think about when applying to schools.

Apply widely. Don’t think about money in the application process. If
nothing else, the act of filling out applications is a great way to
get better at presenting yourself on paper.

Like I said before, if you have the choice to go to a prestigious
school, and if you like it, take the chance even if it is further away
or a bit more expensive.

Get blindness skills training before college!

Get a job and acquire a hard skill before or during college. This
could be engineering, or some other skill that people will pay you
money for. I had only worked at a summer camp when I left undergrad,
and I really believe that if I had a hard skill, it could have played
a role in breaking down barriers when applying to jobs by directly
demonstrating said skill. IT, certification in childcare, auto
mechanics, construction work, whatever. Also, if you have job
experience when you graduate from college, you will be like almost
every other college graduate who had to work a crappy job while in
school. There is something about having a crappy job that really helps
you to understand the world and relate to people. This also means that
you should consider colleges where you will be able to get to a job
independently.

Consider a school that has a lot of stem options. I believe that we
need diverse expertises to keep our society running, but stem skills
can really increase your chances of getting a job no matter what
fields you are in. for example, if you get a degree in psychology,
seize opportunities to learn to script statistical and big data
softwares. Our psychology department regularly partners with computer
science for help. If you can be that person, you will be that much
more of an attractive candidate. You don’t have to sacrifice your
dreams, but have a diverse skillset.

Travel and seek out relationships with people who are not like you.
This relates to school perhaps when considering what study abroad
options they have, or in emphasizing trying a school in another state,
near a large airport, with a diverse student body, whatever.

If you have the ability, try living on campus, and get a roommate!

Then move out and get an off-campus apartment. They are different
experiences that are both awesome, but I wish my first off-campus
apartment was not after I graduated from college. Again, think about
whether there are off-campus apartments in walking or public transit
distance from campus.

Prioritize local scholarships in your process. Others may have
different experiences, but I received 3 scholarships run by entities
in my home town, 1 for students in my state, and 1 from NFB of NC. The
NFB national scholarship is the only national scholarship I have ever
gotten. I really believe that the reviewers could relate to my local
volunteerism. That said, NFB being a great example, national
scholarship programs that are narrow in scope such as those for blind
students should absolutely be considered.

Even though you are considering undergrad, position yourself so you
can prepare for grad school if you want. Learn if there are
undergraduate research opportunities available or if faculty are
accessible.

As you grapple with whether or how to talk about blindness in your
application, here is what I wish I knew. Blindness is a part of my
story. I am proud of that. It is part of what makes me who I am and it
influences the perspective. It also means that I bring privileged
knowledge to a situation that sighted people do not bring. It is also
not the whole story. I am not a success or deserving of recognition
because I am blind. But the combination of all of me works hard, and
sometimes that leads to earn accolades, therefore it should be all of
me illuminated in my essays when I apply for funding or jobs. I
recommending telling a story that represents a pivotal moment in your
life that shaped your unique perspective. Then demonstrate how that
perspective combined with your skills makes you an excellent fit for
the university or recipient of the scholarship. That is abstract
advice that will take a lot of time to concretize so,

Get a ton of feedback about your applications by people who went
through it recently or who have a lot of experiencing mentoring such
as teachers or professors! I honestly half-assed my undergrad
applications and my grad ones; I did not get in to grad school the
first time. I also applied for programs that I no longer wish to
pursue. That said, my 2nd time around, I talked to all of the grad
students I could and my now advisor, and their wisdom transformed my
applications.

Have lots of fun! There is nothing like college. I don’t want to
relive it; they were not the best years of my life as many people
purport because mine (and I hope everyone’s) keeps getting more
awesome, but they were unique years that I wouldn’t change for the
world.