[nabs-l] Interesting interaction with a professor

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 21:35:01 UTC 2016

Elizabeth, the difference is that blind people cannot use a paper
and pencil to take notes in class or take tests.  Some blind
people are effective enough with a slate to do this, but most of
us are not.  And when it comes to exams, it wouldn't do the
professor any good for us to write essays in hard copy Braille
with a slate anyway.  Those blind persons whose method of writing
is to use a computer or notetaker should be able to use their
method of literacy in class.  This is a perfectly reasonable
accommodation.

Best,
Karl