[nabs-l] Graphic Novels

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 00:04:51 UTC 2016

Hi, Mikayla,

I had to read a graphic novel last school year for an English class on
superheroes and villains that I was taking.  The book we read was
called "The Watchman," and it is kind of a cult classic.  Thankfully,
there is a movie version of the graphic novel that I was able to use
to "read" the book.  The professor thought it was a fair accommodation
since getting a graphic novel converted into accessible formats would
have taken tons of time, even considering that this was a fall
semester class and I submitted my book requests in May.  I was able to
follow what was going on from the dialog alone pretty well, but the
professor was willing to answer any questions I had about visual
elements or to help clarify something if I missed out on information
in the pictures.  I think it will depend on how visual/descriptive
your graphic novel is, so talking with your teacher/prof would be
helpful.  There also might be a movie created of it.  I was able to
find clips for each chapter of Watchman on youtube, so that might be
worth looking into as well.

Also, wasn't there an email circulated about a site that now produces
commics for blind people?  I don't recall what it was called, but it
might be worth talking to the folks there to see if they either have
the book you need or can offer further suggestions.

HTH,
Kaiti