[nabs-l] taking quizzes

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 00:20:20 UTC 2016

Hi, Ashley,

Most of the time professors have been completely agreeable to letting
me take quizzes in their classes because they recognize the benefits
of having me in the class, especially since testing in the test center
would require a lot of logistical work that is unnecessary on both of
our parts.  A lot of professors just email the quizzes to me so I can
complete them and quickly send them back, but some prefer using a
flashdrive so that I get the test at the same time as everyone else,
and it cuts out possibilities for internet issues (emails not sending,
problems with the wifi, etc).

Last semester a professor was really helpful in creating a new way for
me to take tests.  She wasn't thrilled about the idea of a student
using their own computer to take her exams, but recognized that I had
the choice to take the test in her class instead of the testing center
if I wanted to and that there were benefits to that.  She got the IT
department to set up a laptop that has microsoft office and Jaws on
it, but also has the wireless card taken out.  This method has been
great because I have everything I need to take the tests in class
where I want to, and the teacher knows I have no danger of sharing her
exams (which was what she was really worried about more than the
possibility of cheating).  Why a prof set that compromise in motion
instead of disability services I don't know, but other professors of
mine have begun to embrace it as well.  It is a reasonable testing
accommodation.

Systems like having a laptop with the software you need but without a
wireless card are great because there is no possibility of cheating.
The prof hands you a flashdrive with your exam on it, and that only
has the files they put on it.  In order to cheat you'd have to have
pre-meditatively put your notes or some type of other document on
another removable device, and then somehow get that other device into
your laptop without the prof seeing you.  This is just like what
sighted students would have to do; they'd have to write things on
their hands, hide their cell phones under their desks and not look
down too much, or otherwise try to hide things and hope they don't get
caught.  And since professors are pretty observant while proctoring
tests, it would be pretty hard to cheat in either case.

I hope these systems I use are food for thought.  I have taken a few
simple aural tests when technology fails or if a prof forgot to send
something to be converted, but generally I try to use my computer and
take everything I possibly can in the class with my peers.  Math and
some science classes are really the only things I plan tests in the
testing center for, just because I really do need extra time.
Otherwise, I generally complete tests as quickly as if not sooner than
my classmates, so testing in the center just seems unnecessary.

HTH,
Kaiti