[nabs-l] academic library access

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:41:14 UTC 2016

Hi, Carly and all,

Of course the choice to use technology or work with another person is
a personal choice, but in my experience technology works a good 80% of
the time at least (in that 20% I'm counting when PDF files from the
library are not innately accessible).  IN that case, what I do as
stated before is get human intervention in the form of my disability
services converting the files to a readable format for my
computer/notetaker.  That's what they're there for, after all.

I have used readers before, but I think I'd dread using them on
something as extensive as a research project where multiple, long
articles or books need to be read.  It is essential, I think, to have
a copy of the printed material at your disposal so you can see how
statements are punctuated and how exactly the author worded them when
citing in your paper.  It also allows for you to draw your own
conclusions without some other person unintentionally adding their
interpretation into their reading or screwing up the reading because
they're not familiar with the subject you are studying.

Lastly, I usually avoid readers because I hate the idea of being
beholden to someone else's schedule to get my work done.  I'm not
above asking for help and have used readers in the past for short
projects, but to do something like extensive research reading like a
thesis or senior capstone project like I did last semester would be
crazy.  I worked on it whenever I had free time because the project
was so large, including late at night and over the weekends when a
human reader probably wouldn't have been available because of their
own life commitments.

Also, even in cases when personal technology goes down, there should
be a few different places one could go to have computer access.
Colleges are supposed to be required by ADA law to have an accessible
computer in a library for public accommodation, and if not I've used a
computer in the testing center before when nothing else was working.
Think about it; if a sighted student's laptop went down they'd have
plenty of other computers to use to get their work done, so as blind
students if our work goes down having access to a computer at least
somewhere on campus is a reasonable accommodation.