[nabs-l] Small colleges

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 02:28:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

I go to what I would consider to be a mid-sized college.  You can walk
across campus in about 15 minutes, and there are about 8,000-something
undergraduates.  It still has a community feel to it and class sizes
with the exception of things like introductory psychology lectures are
kept around 30-40 students max.  A lot of the classes for my major
field of study have 20 students or less in them.  It is just big
enough to have options for housing, extra clubs and activities, and
always new people to meet, but it isn't so huge that I feel like I'm
just a number.  My DS office has been really good about working with
me the whole time even though I am the only fluent braille reader and
screenreader user on campus.

I personally am not a fan of huge colleges that take forever to walk
across or who have thousands upon thousands of students, but I'd
encourage you to give the slightly bigger colleges a chance as well.
It's also important to consider what class sizes you are comfortable
with, what housing you'd like to have/can afford, and how you're going
to get around campus.  One thing to also consider is that college is
your time to grow after high school, and for some people that might
mean wanting more options.  I don't think I would have liked the tiny
school I looked at because for a few reasons it felt like a slightly
bigger version of my high school, but then again my high school had a
fairly large student body with 2,200 students whereas some high
schools barely have 100 or fewer students in each graduating class.
Size is relative, which is why I think defining what exactly you mean
by "small college" would be helpful.

Hope this helps,