[nabs-l] Reasonable Accommodations in the College Classroom underthe Ada

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 28 23:07:37 UTC 2016

Hi Roanna,

I think your professor is trying to be accomodating.
The ADA does say we need reasonable accomodations but in post secondary
education section 504 of the Civil Rights Act covers us as well.
None of us are lawyers. But it is my understanding that civil rights laws
say we have the right to the same services as our nondisabled counterparts.
So you should be able to participate in a service in a place of public
accomodation with or without accomodations.
In this case, the service is an educational environment.

For accomodations, they can accommodate you in a number of ways.
They can provide a reader to assist you in picking out the visuals,
something which most colleges do not do.
They can also modify the assignment so you can complete it alone, or provide
an alternative assignment that meets the same educational objectives.

In this instance, it sounds like the pictures represent things about you.
Therefore, you can do the assignment, so a substitute is not necessary. But,
a modification of the assignment is needed so you can do it alone. You have
a modified assignment now, so that is fine, but listing things is easier.
than what they had to do in my opinion.

I think picking out pictures involves some analysis and critical thinking
and they also have to search for them.
So, to be picky, the assignment you get should require these skills too.
Some modifications can be as follows:
1. Searching for sound clips of things about you; like a ball game if you
like sports or the ocean if you like the beach. This can be put in a word
file too.
2. Tactile things are also equivalent to seeing. So, a collage of tactile
pieces along with a short explanation of what it means would also work. For
instance, a feather if you like birds, a ball for sports or even soft fabric
to represent a blanket. I don't think this is as realistic for a college
assignment; you cannot upload this thing, you'd have to bring it to the
professor, and it may take too long to gather the material. But, still, its
an idea and an equivalent assignment I think.

3. Describing the pictures you would have picked.

Hope this is helpful.

Ashley